Sunday, March 29, 2009

Started playing again.....

Since leaving Milwaukee in October, I was totally out of over-the-board play...almost 5 months. Some players meet in a local library on Saturdays but nothing like SWCC or Waukesha clubs. Only 4-5 people come here and they mainly play quick unrated games. During this I was playing in Correspondence chess, winning a few Walter Muir events to keep my chess brain active.

Realized, no matter how much I like chess, with a tough profession in IT and a family to maintain, I won't be able to play the whole weekend in tournaments. So the only option was to go for shorter time control with one day events. I do not do well in 60 mins or less but had no choice.

So started playing in G/60 events in Marshall Chess Club in New York. They have this every alternate weeks. So far I played 3 events (28-Feb, 14-Mar & 28-Feb). Scored 3/4, 3/4 and 2.5/4 in these and go the under 2000 prize in all 3 occasions. The rating jumped from recent low of 1944 to 1955-1969-1974.

Overall playing okay, still far from my best but getting there. Will publish the games in coming days.

No matter what, I am still missing the folks & culture of SWCC.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to see that you are playing and blogging again Souvik!


John Veech

Souvik Roychoudhury said...

Thanks John. Have great Nationals. Will follow over the internet.

Robin said...

Yes, glad to see you playing again, even if it is shorter time controls. Looks like you are doing well.

Robin said...

Also, thanks for the kind comments about the Southwest Chess Club!

Tom said...

Souvik, Good to hear you are still playing chess. We miss you a lot at SWCC. Tom

Souvik Roychoudhury said...

Tom & Robin,

I talk a lot of SWCC out here...a kind of publicity may be. A lot many players said if they land up in Milwaukee, they might give it a try. I hope, thanks to Allen, we are kkeping the location posted in the SWCC website.

Miss you all a lot....you guys kind of became our relatives....still can't think that I am not more in Milwaukee !

Robin said...

Looks like good competition at the Marshall Club. Waiting to see some of your games.

Robin said...

Congratulations on your win in the 2009 Northeast Open!!