Thursday, April 3, 2008

Good start (2-0-0) in Waukesha Club Championship

I started with wins (with white) against Peter Velikanov (1900) and Raymond Hayes (2100). Two back to back wins against strong players gives good motivation. Next round I am playing with Williams with black. My game (with black) with Sasha (the only other undefeated player till now) is postponed till end.

The game with Peter (two weeks back) was a QGD and yesterday's game with Hays was Trompowsky. Now I have wins with Trompowsky against a master (Williams), three experts (Becker, Hayes, Fricano) and at least a dozen of Class A players (not including a draw with Ashish).

Coons beat Williams yesterday for a major upset. I was joking that he draws with 1100 and beats 2200 within a month ! Not an easy task !

Some important mements from the game with Hayes, all white to play....
In following position, Qd5 was an interesting plan



In following position, I played the Nd5 which was correct and winning. After ...Qxc6 bxc6...Re8, the critical move is Nc3.





Finally, in following position, Ng3 and if required then Rg1 wins easily. With 1.42 mins on clock I was for some reasons was not finding any move, played inaccurate Rh1 when Black could play Rc2 prolonging the struggle. But then Hayes made an illegal move which gave me 2 mins and I then manage to with that time, offering the rook and then allowing him to queen the b-pawn when my (c8=) queen forces a mate with Qd7+ ... Kh8 (same for Kh6), Qh7 mate.


No comments: