Thursday, January 17, 2008

Waukesha Winter Open - Coons and Souvik leading with 3/3

On the 3rd round of Waukesh Winter Open, there were no surprises. Jim Coons (black) beat Hetzel and I (white) beat M Lawrence to reach 3/3 score.

Young talent Gregory Reese Jr who started the round with 2/2, lost from the black side of Stonewall variation (where white played d4, e3, Bd3 and f4). Stonewall is a rare guest. Though I once saw Fricano playing it in a tournament.

Coons game was Panov-Botvinnik attack where black was up by two pawns in the king side and won the 4+1 vs 2+1 Rook ending.

Mine was a very uncommon variation where I got a good advantage with out much work (& credit). Played very average thinking I have already won it (a bad psychological problem). Kept on playing the second best moves and won the game thanks to opponents mistake. Other than the fact I didn't make any blunder, there was no credit for me to claim.

Second seeded Garvin also recovered from his last week's loss to win with white. He was 2 clear passed pawns up in the 3+2 vs 3 Rook-Pawn ending and won easily.

Next week I'll play Coons with Black to decide who wins the tournament. I have always played different moves against Coons' 1.Nf3 and won all games (except one 29 min game where I played mainline queen's gambit accepted). I have to think and come up with another new and uncommon move this time. Lets see.....Any suggestion ?

No comments: