Sunday, March 16, 2008

What is the best move (1) ?

From time to time, I will be publishing the positions from my games and will ask readers to suggest the best move. Here is the first one from the recently completed MCA Fide Futurity event against Leon Ding.



Black mishandled the exchange Slav position and stands clearly worse. I was very excited to see the move g4-g5 to win a pawn. But later while analyzing at home, realized that this is not the best move. Suggest what do you think is the best move in this position.

2 comments:

Southwest Chess Club said...

Souvik,
when I wandered by the game, and looking from Black's side, I thought that g4 looked like a winner. Now (without Fritz or serious look), I'm wondering about playing e4 as a sacrifice to activate the Bc1 out to f4 quickly?

Allen

Southwest Chess Club said...

Another try was Nxd5, gaining two pawns for the piece..